The Homestead Act of 1862, which granted free family farms to settlers, brought Europeans who established churches in their communities. With the development of Vermillion and the opening in 1882 of the University of Dakota, later named the University of South Dakota, the population grew. South Dakota became a state in 1889, and two years later planning for a Lutheran church in Vermillion began. By 1892 the church was organized.
Newspapers, books and interviews tell about the lives of people whose names appear in early Trinity records. Herman Malby advertised his scroll and cabinet work as well as "fancy fences." He also owned the "Uella May", a boat used on the Missouri River as far as Platte. Ole Bergeson repaired shies, James Gilbertson, the brother of charter member G.P. Gilbertson and father of Beula Petsch, came to Vermillion from Canton and opened a harness shop.
These are just a few examples ~ to learn more ask for a Church History Book in the Church office.